Friday, January 15, 2010

How to get lean for Peak Performance



I just read a pretty good article by Matt Fitzgerald that was posted on the trainingpeaks.com website. I'll post the article here so you don't have to listen what I have to say about it: http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/2010/01/how-much-should-i-weigh-by-matt-fitzgerald.html

You may have noticed by now, if you're a frequent visitor to my blog, that I probably post an equal amount of Power and Weight related blogs on this site. Why is that? That's because if you want to be a competitive cyclist and perform at your highest level/potential..YOU MUST BE LEAN! The guy/gal with the highest sustainable Power is NOT always the one who wins a hilly road race. It's the guy/gal with the highest sustainable Power to Weight ratio. (Funny, I'm saying all of this as I just threw a handful of Reese's pieces in my mouth....NICE!) So, how lean is LEAN? To be honest, I'm not quite sure- which is why I'm going to order Matt's book entitled: Racing Weight..how to get lean for peak performance...to answer the question.

There is no doubt in my mind that I'm not as lean as I should be. In fact, I know I'm at LEAST 10 lbs overweight with body fat percentage looming around 12%. My goal for this season racing is to be sub 170 lbs., with 9-10% bodyfat. That's lean for a 6 footer like me, at 50+ years old. How lean are you? A couple of my friends have single digit body fat measurements. One is an elite professional triathlete and the other is a soon-to-be professional cyclist. Does that tell you something? Power ON! Coach Rob

No comments: