Sunday, December 5, 2010

FatSecret Challenge

For most of you, losing weight is NOT a goal/objective for the 2011 racing season. But for me, it's just as important as producing/improving power on the bike.  After all, as most of you know..it's all about w/kg as it pertains to road bike racing.  The guy/gal with the highest sustainable w/kg usually WINS- especially on a hilly tract!

Most people diet in order to lose weight.  I don't believe in diets.  Why?  Because they are NOT for life..they are ONLY temporary.  That is, short term, you may lose weight and reach your goal but in the long term, you're going to gain that weight back- and some.  I've seen it all too often.

I lost 50 lbs. from 2003 to 2005 and have been able to keep that weight off since.  Yup, that's right, I weighed 225 lbs. in 2003..BEFORE my Bally's weight-loss challenge.  I did it by laying off the pizza, beer, pasta, etc. (eating right) and exercising.  My exercise routine included riding my bike and a resistance training program in the gym.  That's right, a weight/resistance training program.  Most people think that lifting weights will add muscle mass, make you bigger, and actually put on pounds.  Nope..not if you do it right- like I did.

Currently, I weigh 178 lbs.  My goal is to lose 13 lbs. and get to 165 lbs. for Battenkill in April 2011.  I'm going to make that weight loss goal with the help of my NEW friends on FatSecret.com   I recently started a "pound per week weight loss" challenge on http://www.fatsecret.com/.  Currently, there are 56 people signed up for the challenge.  If you're interested in joining us- sign-up today/tonight/tomorrow.  Fat Secret is FREE.  They have a dailly food journal for tracking your calories as well as an exercise journal for tracking your workouts.  That is, in addition to the challenge forum with people like you..those that are trying to lose weight and meet their goals.  Who knows, maybe some of you will meet/make a new friend.  Look for the "pound per week" weight loss challenge on Fat Secret and sign-up today.

Tomorrow starts the Fat Secret Weight Loss Challenge.  I'm already 1 month into my Functional Threshold Power Challenge on the bike..which is to increase my FTP from 240w (indoors) to 270w (indoors).  For me, that translates to an outdoor FTP (where it matters) of 297w (since my FTP outside is 10% higher than inside)..and a w/kg of 3.96  or 4 w/kg.  I don't care who you are, or what age, if you have a w/kg of 4 or greater on the bike- you're a strong rider!  (FYI, a w/kg of 4 is mid Cat-3 power).  And, that's where I want to be for my race (Battenkill) in April- regardless of where I finish in the race (Masters 50+).  If  your w/kg is higher than 4, you're a stud..and if it's higher than 6- you'd be Lance Armstrong in his prime.

Power ON!  Coach Rob

No comments: