Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Walk before you run/ride

There's an old proverb that reads, "You must walk before you run".  I'm pretty sure we're all aware of what that means.  Except for me, it reads, "You must walk before you ride".  Why?  Because I've gained twenty pounds since last year- this same time.  (You think I'm kidding?  I wish I was.  Long story on why..but I don't want to get into that)  I told myself BEFORE I attempt to get back on the bike, I'm going to walk-off at least 5 pounds- which I've successfully done in the last month. (I've been speed walking at lunchtime).  Tonight, I'm going on my first group ride (in over a year) with the Central Bucks Bike Club.  I'm really not enamored with these "group" rides but I figured I've got to start somewhere.  At least I can ride with the B/C group and feel good about myself.  If I rode with the A/B group I'd get shelled out the back in the first couple miles.  I have no doubt about that.  A lot of you may be laughing at this blog..thinking, how the hell can he get this "out-of-shape" in only one year.  Let me tell you- it was easy.  You just stop riding and continue eating the same..that's how. 

If you've "given it up" for a year like me (for whatever reason..possibly an injury) don't despair.  Just be patient.  Don't expect to be where you were for a while.  It will take time getting back into your original shape.  And, don't get discouraged.  Hell, I don't even know if I'm going to put my bike computer on my bike tonight.  I don't want to see how paltry the Power Meter numbers are.  I may laugh myself sick to my stomach..ha.  I've read many stories about how guys have had serious injuries (on and off the bike) and have come back even STRONGER years later.  There's one guy that keeps coming to my mind and if you haven't heard of this guys story you've got to read it.  His name is Alex Simmons.  Check out his blog and his accident and recovery story.  Just amazing if you ask me.  http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/  In addition to his story he is an expert when it comes to racing and training with a Power Meter.  Just like Alex, I will be back..faster..stronger (like the 6 million dollar man- for you guys over 40..ha).  I'm not sure what my long term goal is but my short term goal is to get my FTP to where it was last year by September of this year.  I want to go into the 2013 season stronger than 2011.  For a long term goal, I was thinking of a "pack finish" at the 2015 Tour of the Battenkill where I'll be racing with the 55+ crowd.  We'll see.

For now, I've got a long road ahead of me.  And, the most important thing for me to do now is to "walk" NOT "run" and be patient.  Actually, it will be "walk" at lunch and "ride" after work.
Power ON! Coach Rob

1 comment:

Rob Muller said...

I didn't expect to be where I was last year this point, but I didn't expect to bonk on a 36 mile B- group ride last night either. Yes BONKED so bad, with ONLY 5 miles left I had the ride leader come back and pick me up. Granted, my back was killing me too because I have herniated discs. Any incline towards the end, regardless how slight, was causing pain to shoot up my leg/back. At the end of the ride, it was so bad (pain, nausea, etc.) I thought I was going to puke- SERIOUSLY! So much for taking it easy getting back on the bike..bleh.