Saturday, July 22, 2017

Beat the Heat!


I can't say it's very much fun riding in the heat of the day.  I know some people don't mind it..but I do.  In fact, I know a couple of people that like to race in the heat- sick.  I sweat a lot when I work out. If I sweat too much on a long ride, I won't be able to get enough fluids back into me..even if I'm drinking all day.  If my body doesn't get enough fluids, my body shuts down.  I'm talking headaches, nausea and on the verge of passing out.  Been there, done that!

To combat the heat of the day there are a few things you can do to get your ride in.  Here is my short list:

1. Ride early.  Get up early and ride at 0700.  You can be done by 1000 and get a great ride in.
2. Ride where there's shade.  On really hot days, I ditch the road bike and grab my Mountain Bike and head for the woods.  It's MUCH cooler under the shade of trees.
3. Wear a Cooling Vest.  I have a hyperkewl cooling vest that works ok.  I'd say it works for 3 hrs. to keep you relatively cool.  You just wet it down.  It doesn't cost much and it's not too heavy.
4. Wear a headband.  The riders behind you will appreciate it in a paceline.  Nobody wants to get sweated on.  Plus, it prevents sweat from dripping into your eyes.  Sweat mixed with sunscreen in your eyes is not pleasant.
5. Wear light clothes.  It's amazing how many times I see riders with black shirts and black shorts riding on the hottest day of the year.  I guess looking cool trumps staying cool- in their opinion.
6.  Head for the basement.  That's where I go when there is record heat.  My basement is nice and cool and that's where my trainer is located.  I'll just hop on the trainer for 1/2 hr. and watch sports on TV or I'll crank the tunes while I ride.  Today, I watched the final Time Trial of this years' Tour de France.

Stay cool.  Power ON!  Coach Rob

No comments: