Friday, July 28, 2017

gomacro protein bar

When a new product or piece of kit or equipment comes along that I like, I normally pass the information on.  In this case, it's a protein bar from a company called "gomacro".  I pretty much stumbled upon this product at a local coffee shop/whole foods store in Bucks County, PA.  I was on a group ride and the guy that I was riding with wanted to stop for a bottle of water.  I figured as long as he was stopping for water, I might as well stop too and grab a protein bar- since I had left with nothing to eat for the ride.  Normally when I ride, I ride with a snack bag of some sort that I make up myself or a protein bar.

This particular whole foods store had a whole rack of protein bars.  I saw Crunchy Peanut Butter Clif Bars (for $1.69) which was what I'd normally buy.  But, recently, I had someone email me (I get a lot of emails as a Coach from athletes, other coaches, people selling stuff, etc.) from a company called "gomacro".  They wanted to know if I ever tried their protein bars.  I said, "No".  Well, here was my chance to try one.  So, I picked the Banana + Almond Butter flavor.  It was really chewy and yummy tasting.  What I liked most about it, in addition to the taste, was the texture.  It was nice and soft and chewy.  When I ride and eat, I like to take bites of food and store it in my cheek (like a squirrel) and eat it slowly.  The gomacro protein bar was the perfect texture for leaving it in my cheek.  Everything in the protein bar is/was organic.  It's also soy free, gluten free and non-GMO.  The protein bar was 270 calories and had 10g of protein, 34g of carbs, 13g of sugar and 12g of fat (no trans fats).  The sugar came from organic brown rice syrup and organic coconut sugar.  No High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) or chemical sugar substitutes in this protein bar.  This is more protein and less sugar than most protein bars on the market.  I like that because I need to watch the amount of sugar I intake these days.  The carbs are a little high if you're on a diet, but that's what you need post workout for muscle recovery-  high carbs and high protein.  I don't eat protein bars as a snack during the day.  There's much better/tastier foods to eat.   I only eat protein bars when I workout and/or post-workout.  The gomacro protein bar fit very nicely in my cycling bib jersey pocket.  And, the serated edge on the packaging made it easy to rip open with my teeth while riding.

Gomacro protein bars are sold at 7-Elevens, Target, whole food stores, etc.  Go on their website- click here, and enter your zipcode in the store locator for the closest store.  I paid $2.00 for my gomacro protein bar this a.m.  Definitely worth $0.31 more than a Clif bar.  It tasted so much better.  And, I like their flavors.  Here is a list of their high protein flavors: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Coconut Almond Butter Chocolate Chip, Sunflower Butter Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Cashew Caramel.  I think I'm going to try the Peanut Butter protein bar next.  The Peanut Butter bar has more protein (12g) and less sugar (10g) than the Banana + Almond Butter protein bar I had this a.m.  They should do a Peanut Butter Banana flavor in the future.

Check it out- gomacro protein bars.     I think you'll like em like I do.

Power ON!  Coach Rob

No comments: