Monday, September 4, 2017

Garmin Connect


Garmin Connect

Whenever I ride, I ride with my Garmin Edge bike computer.  I like it because it's quick, easy, and simple to operate.  I switch it from my Mountain Bike to my Road Bike in seconds since I have a similar mount on each bike's handlebar.  And, the Garmin Edge gives you every metric you could possibly want for a ride: power, speed, heart rate, elevation, distance, temperature, cadence, etc.  Why do you need a Garmin Edge?  You need a Garmin Edge to measure your performance..to see if you're getting fitter/stronger/faster.

Today, I rode my Mountain Bike 40 miles non-stop.  I think that's the furthest I rode my Mountain Bike non-stop.  I've ridden my Road Bike 125 miles non-stop and climbed close to 10,000 feet of elevation on that ride (in Colorado).  But, that was almost 10 years ago.  I'm getting close to 60 yrs. old and I don't recover/recuperate like I used to.  I don't have the endurance I used to have either.  After today's 40 mile Mountain Bike ride, averaging 13.5 mph (moving average) along the route, I was cooked/toast.  I couldn't ride another mile at that pace. The 13.5 mph moving average includes all the times I was stuck behind someone riding 8 mph, and slowing down when crossing underneath bridges or passing people walking.  So, that's not too shabby for only 2-3 months of riding.  Had I not had anyone in my way, I probably would have averaged close to 15 mph.

Paired with the Garmin Edge is free software from Garmin called Garmin Connect.  Just click on the link above and you'll see the metrics from my ride from Pt. Pleasant, PA past Reigelsville, PA.  Garmin Connect also allows you to see a monthly map view of your rides.  It stores the rides in a database.

Don't have a Garmin Edge?  Go buy one.  Buy a good Heart Rate Monitor too that is compatible.

Power ON!  Coach Rob

No comments: